John McDonnell, MP Interview
Katie Goodall/The Hayes and Harlington Gazette/October 2007
MP
JOHN McDonnell, MP for Hayes and Harlington describes himself as: "Hard working, confident and committed." Brunel graduate Mr McDonnell has a hectic schedule of attending parliament, updating his blog (see http://www.johnmcdonnell.org.uk/about-john.html), writing articles for the national press, and campaigning for the local community.
Politics is a career he says he "drifted into, rather than planned" because he became involved in many community events, resulting in him climbing the political ladder to becoming an MP. He said: "I am a socialist, and believe in equality for all people."
Being an Uxbridge resident who lives 15 minutes away from Hayes, I was curious to know if anything was being done about the lack of a shopping centre in Hayes Town. He replied: "I am the Chair of the Board, and we've been working on it for 10 years."
He added: "There are many core shops such as Iceland, Wilkinsons and Woolworths, but the town is still suffering after the closure of Sainsburys."
Two weeks ago the Hayes & Harlington Gazette covered the Crossrail development. Mr McDonnell said: "I support Crossrail because it is a major aid to redevelop the lives of people. In 20 minutes you can get from Hayes to Central London. It will open up the access for many people across to the East.
It will provide more job opportunities for people in Hayes to find jobs in London. It will also increase people's enjoyment, as they can travel into London more easily for entertainment and go to restaurants. There has been a dramatic improvement since Ken Livingstone became Mayor of London."
McDonnell is also involved in local community radio stations. He said: "Yes I listen to Hayes FM, and I would definitely talk on it. I was involved in the planning process, and worked with Sutish [Sharma] to raise funds, and gain the licence. It was going to be at Uxbridge College, but they had no room.
I was involved with Desi Radio in Southall. I really enjoy the wide range of music on Hayes FM. I was meant to go down to Hospital Radio Hillingdon during the broadcast marathon, but I had a meeting."
When asked about the recent story in the press about MPs jumping the dinner queue, he responded: "That's rubbish, total nonsense. Yes, I saw that article. As a socialist, I believe in equality for all people, and I would never jump a queue."
Ends
Visit John McDonnell's website to view more information about his campaigns and read his blog by clicking on the link below.
http://www.johnmcdonnell.org.uk/about-john.html
KATHLEEN GOODALL
- MA IN JOURNALISM (WITH NCTJ ACCREDITATION) STUDENT
- UXBRIDGE, MIDDLESEX, United Kingdom
- WEST LONDON CORRESPONDENT. JOURNALISM ARTICLES CREATED ON MY WORK PLACEMENT AT THE WEST LONDON AND BUCKS GAZETTE SERIES, AND THE NEWS WRITING MODULE DURING TERM ONE AT BRUNEL.
FIND A STORY FAST
CLICK ON THE LABEL BELOW FOR QUICK ACCESS TO THE STORY AND THE REFLECTIVE REPORT.
NEWS STORIES & REFLECTIVE REPORTS
- CAR CRASH (2)
- DAVID EMANUEL (2)
- DUSTY MILLER (2)
- HOSPITAL RADIO (2)
- LUNG TRANSPLANT (2)
- MISSING PEACOCK APPEAL (2)
- MP (2)
SOURCES OF PHOTOS USED IN THIS BLOG
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment