Colin Moore, a volunteer at Hospital Radio Hillingdon invited me to attend the Harefield Fun Run in aid of an MIR scanner at Harefield Hospital. I asked David Tilley if anyone was covering the story, and as Barabara Fisher, the Harefield reporter was on holiday, he said I could write the article and to interview the organisers.
I managed to interview the organisers, an elderly man who ran the race, and the organisers told me about Emily Thackray and Lisa Muscutt, two friends who each received a double lung transplant. I watched an auction presented by Mike Parry from Talksport Radio and Claire Tomlinson, presenter of Sky Sports Goals on Sunday and afterwards approached them for an interview.Both were friendly and willing to talk.
I discovered Parry had been a patient on the heart transplant list. All the people I interviewed were friendly and gave me lots of quotes that I managed to use in a 200 word picture caption and an 1100 word feature. They also gave me mobile numbers and email addresses for future contact.
I have rewritten it for this blog, because unfortunately I did not receive a hard copy of the work submitted to News In because the printers were not working. I only got printed version of the first two drafts I submitted.
I think this shortened version of my feature works for a news article as it is urging the public to become organ donors and also covers the event which is news for Harefield. I had to edit most of the human interest angle out of the feature for this blog news entry, but I'm pleased that one story can adapt from a feature to a news story.
KATHLEEN GOODALL
- MA IN JOURNALISM (WITH NCTJ ACCREDITATION) STUDENT
- UXBRIDGE, MIDDLESEX, United Kingdom
- WEST LONDON CORRESPONDENT. JOURNALISM ARTICLES CREATED ON MY WORK PLACEMENT AT THE WEST LONDON AND BUCKS GAZETTE SERIES, AND THE NEWS WRITING MODULE DURING TERM ONE AT BRUNEL.
FIND A STORY FAST
CLICK ON THE LABEL BELOW FOR QUICK ACCESS TO THE STORY AND THE REFLECTIVE REPORT.
NEWS STORIES & REFLECTIVE REPORTS
- CAR CRASH (2)
- DAVID EMANUEL (2)
- DUSTY MILLER (2)
- HOSPITAL RADIO (2)
- LUNG TRANSPLANT (2)
- MISSING PEACOCK APPEAL (2)
- MP (2)
SOURCES OF PHOTOS USED IN THIS BLOG
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment