I was on my way home from work at the beginning of September, and spotted an accident from the window of the bus at 6.30pm. I did not have a camera on me, and I was due to go to Hospital Radio Hillingdon to help co-present a show, therefore I could not stop and interview anybody on the scene.
I went to the Gazette the next day, and asked if anybody phoned in about the accident, but they knew nothing about it. I said I'd cover it.I asked in the local shops the day after the accident, but the witnesses were not working, and the staff were reluctant to provided contact details saying I should come in later.
I rang the London Ambulance press office, and the London Fire Brigade press office, who were both helpful and emailed me statements to quote.I have learnt I should always carry my camera with me because a picture of the crash might have made a bigger story. The photograph would only be valuable to the Gazette if the vehicles were pictured.
Despite not getting to the story quick enough, I still got this 100 word short news story published in the week's edition of the Gazette, and it was on page 3 under Speed Read. It was subbed in the printed copy, and published in full on-line on the Gazette website.
I am pleased with my efforts, and still made the news into the papers before the Tuesday deadline. After all, a 100 word short story can be just as important to a reader as a full page spread. It served its purpose: it is accurate and informative.
KATHLEEN GOODALL
- MA IN JOURNALISM (WITH NCTJ ACCREDITATION) STUDENT
- UXBRIDGE, MIDDLESEX, United Kingdom
- WEST LONDON CORRESPONDENT. JOURNALISM ARTICLES CREATED ON MY WORK PLACEMENT AT THE WEST LONDON AND BUCKS GAZETTE SERIES, AND THE NEWS WRITING MODULE DURING TERM ONE AT BRUNEL.
FIND A STORY FAST
CLICK ON THE LABEL BELOW FOR QUICK ACCESS TO THE STORY AND THE REFLECTIVE REPORT.
NEWS STORIES & REFLECTIVE REPORTS
- CAR CRASH (2)
- DAVID EMANUEL (2)
- DUSTY MILLER (2)
- HOSPITAL RADIO (2)
- LUNG TRANSPLANT (2)
- MISSING PEACOCK APPEAL (2)
- MP (2)
SOURCES OF PHOTOS USED IN THIS BLOG
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment