I am a volunteer at Hospital radio Hillingdon and they needed to raise money for the two charities. I decided to write the article to raise awareness of the work of the hospital, the actual event, the need for more voluteers and how to donate.
It is a story that reaches out to the residents of Hillingdon and the patients in the hospital, and their friends and families. It was published both in the Uxbridge gazette and online on the gazette website.
I booked a photoshoot, and appeared in it because I am a member of the hospital radio station and writing this article and having it published was a way to help them with their appeal. As a result of this article one reader donated £100 therefore I was very pleased with my achievement.
However one of the radio members suffered a loss as his daughter passed away. They wanted to mention the charity but did not want to mention names incase it caused distress to the family. The angle was about the marathon and the need for volunteers, therefore I kept the personal details to a minimum because it would distract the reader from my article.
A reporter needs to judge the article and select the right angle. My mission was to raise money for the radio station and the Shooting Star Children's hospice. What is left out is just as important as what is included.
I feel that I have achieved the right news angle by reporting the event and appealing for funds, without delving into the private lives of interviewees and provide extensive profiles of the presenters, some of which work for commercial radio stations and have an impressive career.
KATHLEEN GOODALL
- MA IN JOURNALISM (WITH NCTJ ACCREDITATION) STUDENT
- UXBRIDGE, MIDDLESEX, United Kingdom
- WEST LONDON CORRESPONDENT. JOURNALISM ARTICLES CREATED ON MY WORK PLACEMENT AT THE WEST LONDON AND BUCKS GAZETTE SERIES, AND THE NEWS WRITING MODULE DURING TERM ONE AT BRUNEL.
FIND A STORY FAST
CLICK ON THE LABEL BELOW FOR QUICK ACCESS TO THE STORY AND THE REFLECTIVE REPORT.
NEWS STORIES & REFLECTIVE REPORTS
- CAR CRASH (2)
- DAVID EMANUEL (2)
- DUSTY MILLER (2)
- HOSPITAL RADIO (2)
- LUNG TRANSPLANT (2)
- MISSING PEACOCK APPEAL (2)
- MP (2)
SOURCES OF PHOTOS USED IN THIS BLOG
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment